nsupdate with bind views – NOTAUTH error

I hope this saves someone the half a day I just wasted.
I was trying to set up dynamic dns for a client. I found a number of helpful links.
A useful script that allows you to do dynamic dns from a DD-WRT box.
A step by step howto for nsupdate.
The problem was that I was getting an NOTAUTH error every time that I tried it from the name server itself. After regenerating keys, trying every possible variation of configs I finally decided to try it from another server, and it worked!
The problem – I had configured different views in my named.conf and I had a localhost view.

Continue reading “nsupdate with bind views – NOTAUTH error”